For many parents, the idea of giving their child their first mobile phone can be a daunting prospect. Knowing the right time to buy a phone is a question adults throughout the UK are constantly debating.
Research in recent years has shown a rise in phone usage amongst young children and regular usage of mobile phones for 8-11 year olds has risen from 28% – 38% since 2014. Further research in 2016 showed that the average age for children to have a phone is around 10 years old in the UK and in 2017 20% of 5-7 year olds were also regularly using a mobile.
This trend has continued in 2018, with some of the most recent research showing that a quarter of children under the age six have a smartphone, but most parents still insist the ideal age for a child to have their first phone is between 10-11 years old.
The general consensus remains that most parents want to be able to keep in touch with their children and know that they are safe but also have concerns about the content their children could become exposed to and not being aware of everything they are using their phones for.
The Risks of a Phone
- Children can become exposed to online content they wouldn’t normally be allowed to see.
- The phone can distract them and disrupt their routine, taking their attention away from other important parts of their life such as school, friendships and activities.
- There’s potential for children to unintentionally accumulate large financial bills by purchasing additional content or going over their monthly allowance.
The Benefits of a Phone
- Being able to contact your child when they are out is one of the main reasons parents give their child a phone
- Children are able to contact you or anyone else in case of an emergency
- Having something as important as a phone can help to teach a child responsibility from a young age as they have to look after it and learn when and how to use it appropriately
By purchasing a Watchu for your child you could be alleviating yourself from many of the fears that come with a mobile phone, whilst still enjoying all of the benefits.
Some of the great features of the Watchu include:
- Two way calling system so parents and children can be connected at the touch of a button
- GPS tracking allows the parent to monitor where their child is and has been at all times
- SOS button that sends out an instant signal in case of emergency to a list of pre-programmed numbers
Visit our shop page to find out more information and help choose the right Watchu for you.